Recipe by coconutty
These are primo! Adapted from Maida Heatter. I think I reduced the amount of sugar from the original recipe. I will give the more "standard" ingredients with a healthier variation that I personally use. The estimate of preparation time includes chilling time.
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 dash salt
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 -2 cup broken nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust 2 oven racks so that one is 1/3 down from the top and other is 1/3 up from the bottom.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Melt butter in microwave on high – about 1.5 minutes.
- Add sugar, vanilla and eggs one at a time.
- Add dry ingredients; add nuts.
- Refrigerate the dough for about an hour or more, until it is really cold, or cheat and use the freezer for a shorter amount of time. Do not skip this step! This is necessary or the cookies will spread while baking.
- Drop the chilled dough by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart on 2 ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes, switching pans once. Do not overbake.
- Here are my substitutions: instead of white sugar, I use fructose;
- Instead of white flour, I use 1 1/4 cups organic oat flour or whole wheat pastry flour plus 1/4 cup soy flour.