Prep 5 hrs
Cook 30 mins
A very special dessert that does take some time effort, but is worth it. All of the major food groups here: chocolate, nut, coffee ice cream.
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 quart coffee ice cream, softened
- 1 teaspoon salad oil
Chocolate Chip Crust
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate
- Prepare crust by combining softened butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl.
- Beat until fuffy.
- Beat in vanilla and egg yolk.
- Gradually blend in flour until mixture is combined.
- Blend in finely chopped chocolate.
- Press mixture evenly and firmly over bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie pan.
- Pierce bottom in several places with a fork.
- Bake crust in a preheated 375* oven until lighltly browned, about 12-14 minutes.
- Cool in a wire rack at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare filling: Mix almonds, brown sugar and melted butter.
- Add 1/4 cup of the coarsely chopped chocolate and mix lightly.
- Spread half of the softened ice cream in the cooked, cooled crust.
- Sprinkle evenly with half of the almond mixture.
- Cover with remaining ice cream,then remaining almond mixture, then place in freezer.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup coarsely chopped chocolate in top of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water, until melted.
- Stir in salad oil.
- Remove partially frozen pie from the freezer.
- Drizzle melted chcolate over the pie, dribbling from a spoon, or cone of rolled paper to pipe it on.
- Return pie to freezer.
- When top is set,cover with foil and freeze until firm, at least 4 more hours.
- To serve, remove pie from freezer about 30 minutes before cutting.