Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
One of my favorite classic Italian dishes to make for many reasons. Great tasting the next day, fun to make and so delicious it can charm the britches off the toughest mobsters! As the chef, this Manicotti is easily assembled but alil time consuming. This pasta dish goes great with a side salad and garlic bread.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (without casting)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 pinch fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) box manicotti, uncooked shells
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 5 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- salt and pepper
- In a large sauce pan using about a tbsp of EVOO, combine the diced garlic, pinch of salt/ pepper, ground beef and Italian sausage until cooked through and browned.
- Add spaghetti sauce, oregano and basil, pinch of fennel. Simmer.
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil and cook shells just under suggested cooking time. You want them to be slightly undercooked. Drain and set aside.
- In a mixing large bowl, combine ricotta, mozarella, and spinach. Salt to taste. Set aside.
- Spread a light layer of meat sauce on the bottom of a large deep baking dish.
- Using a narrow spoon, fill each tubular shell with cheese mixture and place side by side into the prepared baking dish. Cover with remaining sauce and sprinkle Parmesan on top.
- Bake in oven covered with foil at 400 F for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5-7 mins to brown the cheese on top. Let cool before serving.
what cought my eye was the name.. So when I showed my B.F he was excited.. It Was Great.. I gave some to my pregnat friend an she eat it so fast that baby was kicking hard for more... Thank you So much..