Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I read this In Long Island Newsday and tried it for fun. It was easy to make and delicious.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, quartered
- 1 Red Delicious apple, cored, seeded, and diced
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 lb cooked chicken, bite sized pieces
- 1 cup rice
- flaked coconut
- In a large skillet, heat peanut oil over medium flame until hot.
- Add onion, Worcestershire sauce, and minced jalapeno peppers. Sautee until onions are brown.
- Add quartered sweet potato, diced apple, and half chicken broth.
- Add peanut butter. Stir until absorbed. Turn heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, red hot sauce, coconut extract, marmalade, and chicken.
- simmer for 1/2 hour, adding remaining chicken broth as needed.
- while stew cooks, prepare rice.
- pour stew over bed of rice.
- garnish with flaked coconut.
- other optional garnishes include: 1 hard-cooked egg per serving, diced pineapple, banana, peaches, or mangos.
Simple dish, easy to make. This dish can be made vegetarian - by substituting cauliflower, green beans, etc. for the chicken.