1/2 Photos of Mo Bettah French Onion Soup
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Blue Bustard's Note:
A lot of recipes call for cans of stock, bullion cubes, and other barely palatable shortcuts. This recipe raises the bar without having to spend eighteen hours in the kitchen. The first step is a visit to rlschreiber.com where if you buy their beef and chicken concentrated bases, you will never buy another can of broth. (No, I don't own stock in the company.) If you can obtain sweet onions such as Vidalia, stick with dry white wine. The sweetness in soup like this should come from the carrot, the onions, and the wine - NOT added sugar. (Although there's no accounting for taste...)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 carrot, quartered
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups beef broth (R.L. Schreibers is the BEST)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 2 celery tops
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 pinch nutmeg, ground
- 6 -8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 slices French bread
- 1Lightly brown quartered onions and carrot in butter.
- 2Add white wine and boil until reduced.
- 3Add beef broth, garlic, parsley, celery tops, and thyme. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- 4Strain broth and set aside, discarding solids.
- 5Saute the thinly sliced onions in 3 tablespoons of butter until golden brown. Stir in the flour, then a cup of white wine and the reserved broth. Add some nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Cover and simmer gently on low heat for an hour.
- 7Cut the crust off of four chunks of French bread and fry them in a lightly buttered skillet until they are brown and crisp. Set aside. (It helps to cut them about the size of your bowl so that too much cheese doesn't work its way into the soup.).
- 8When you are about ready to serve, stir two or three tablespoons of the cheese into the broth. Then ladle the broth into four oven-proof bowls. Place one chunk of fried bread into each bowl and top with the remaining cheese.
- 9Place bowls on a foil-protected cookie sheet and place under a hot broiler for just a couple of minutes or three. While waiting for the cheese to melt, drink the rest of the white wine, reserving the empty bottle for smashing garlic cloves.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mo Bettah French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (603 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 641.7
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 85.6 mg
- Sodium 1231.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 22.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: