Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this soup!! I cut some calories too by using fat free half & half and reduced fat margarine! Great for camping--can just throw it on the fire and it reheats great! I like to throw some cayenne pepper in mine to give it a little heat too!
- 40 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup raw wild rice
- 1⁄3 cup diced celery
- 1⁄3 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄3 cup diced yellow onion
- 1⁄3 cup diced mushroom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (dash)
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup hot half-and-half cream
- 1 1⁄4 ounces sliced almonds
- white pepper (to taste)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 dash ground pepper
- Cream Sauce:.
- Melt Butter. Add flour and cook for 5 minutes. (It is important for the consistency in the end that this is completely cooked).
- Add pepper. Stir 2-3 times and then let cool. Store in fridge.
- In large soup kettle combine the chicken broth, water & rice. Bring to boil. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, mushrooms, onions, garlic & white pepper. Simmer until veggies are tender.
- Stir in the cream sauce that has been chilling until this point. Stir frequently.
- Stir in hot half & half and chicken. Simmer, don't boil!
- Add sliced almonds as garnish when serving.
The weather turned cool here and I drove home from work thinking about a nice French onion soup... but no beef stock. I did a quick search and found this recipe for which I had the ingredients. What a great choice! With the left-over chicken breast from a deli chicken and everything else specified in the recipe, I put together one of the best soups to come out of my meager kitchen, ever. I particularly like the roux as a thickener. This is a very creamy soup! Yummy! I'll test the reheat properties tomorrow as I plan to make the leftovers my lunch!