Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
You will love the tantalising flavours of this biryani. This is Monthi Monis' recipe from the Thursday magazine. Enjoy
- 1 kg chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1⁄2 kg basmati rice, washed and soaked for half an hour in water
- 15 cloves garlic
- 2 inches fresh ginger
- 1 kg onion, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 15 green chilies, washed
- 2 cups fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt, beaten
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee, melted
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 3 inches cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 5 green cardamoms
- 15 cashews
- 15 raisins
- water, as required
- Grind garlic, ginger and cashewnuts in 1/2 cup of milk and keep aside.
- Add a tsp.
- of turmeric powder and 1/2 cup of yogurt and grind again.
- Heat 4 tbsps.
- of oil in a wok.
- Add 1 tbsp.
- of melted ghee.
- Saute the onions in it.
- Add chicken and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Then toss in the chopped green chillies and the ground masala.
- Mix well, add salt to taste and mint leaves.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Now prepare the rice.
- For this, heat 2 tbsps of ghee in a pot.
- Add 4 cloves, 5 green cardamoms and 3 inch piece of cinnamon.
- Stirfry for 2 minutes.
- Add the drained rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- For every 2 cups of rice, now add 4 cups of water which has been boiled.
- After you add the water, add salt to taste.
- Then add 15 raisins and 15 cashewnuts.
- Boil until the water is drained.
- Now, in the serving dish, put one layer of rice followed by one layer of chicken and repeat until done.
- Garnish with 4 tbsps.
- of chopped corriander leaves.
- Serve hot with fresh cucumber raita.