Recipe by magpie diner
I made this a few weeks ago to go with a veggie loaf - and I could have eaten the entire batch myself....so good! Took it to a family dinner, where there was one gravy for the meat eaters, and this one for the non. My SIL referred to it as the "lumpy" one. Well, yes, it's a bit chunky with all the delicious mushrooms. It made enough to freeze a cup or so for future use. If you're preparing in advance it does get quite thick, so just thin out with some wine or more stock when the time comes to use it. This is from 'Vegan a Go Go'.
Top Review by Lalaloula
This was absolutely smashing! So thick, creamy and comforting with a wonderful mushroom flavour! My sis and me served it with mashed taters and it was the perfect comfort food. YUM! Sooo good! I didnt use the nutritional yeast and in place of the braggs (which I couldnt find) I used veggie broth. This was so yummy, Ive added it to my regular rotation. Thank you so much for sharing this true winner with, magpie!
Made and reviewed for your being VIP during Veggie Swap #50 September 2012.
- 6 button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon tamari (or braggs)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium-high heat saute the mushrooms in the margarine until soft.
- Add the flour, nutritional yeast, pepper and tamari/braggs. Stir constantly until thickened.
- Leave as is, or use an immersion blender to make it smooth (or a blender blender of course).