Recipe by HokiesMom
This is a basic muffin recipe a bit different from those posted in that instead of oil it uses butter. The variations that can be used are in the directions listed and not in the ingredients list as that would be too difficult to decipher. I found this in the FIRST Magazine I believe in 1989. Some tips to great muffin making...DO NOT overstir the batter - just mix until combined - it may still be a little lumpy. It is okay to fill your muffin cups to near the top - this will give you a high crown on your muffins. A nice tip I read too was to make sure to grease or spray the "TOP" of the muffin pan - that way any muffin that comes in contact with it while baking will not stick to muffin pan and will allow it to keep rising and spreading out.
Top Review by Lalaloula
What a lovely basic muffin recipe!!! I made it using 1/4 cup chocolate covered raisins as an addition and the muffins came out so moist, flavourful and just yummy! They had a slightly crunchy crust and werent too greasy. I luved that they were so low in sugar! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing your superb recipe with us, Hokies!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease or line your muffin cups (12) - see not in recipe description.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix together the milk, egg and melted butter and then stir into the flour mixture until combined but still a bit lumpy - do not overmix - just 15-20 seconds.
- Evenly distribute between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Blueberry-Lemon Muffins~~Increase the sugar to 1/3 c and grate the zest of 1 lemon into the flour mixture. Add 1 cup blueberries with the milk mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Chocolate Chip Muffins~~Use light-brown sugar rather than granulated and add 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the flour mixture. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract with the milk mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cinnamon-Oatmeal Muffins~~Decrease the flour to 1 1/4 cups. Increase the sugar to 1/4 cup and add 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 c raisins to the flour. Bake as directed for 20-25 minutes.