Recipe by Julesong
This recipe came from my friend Duncan. He said, "I have a yummy tasty White Chocolate Creme Brulee that is fabulously easy to make. I'm not a big fan of white chocolate and I love this." He got it from the Portobello Yacht Club.
Top Review by Baking Girl
This was amazing! I made it today and my family loved it! I used Ghiredelli White Chocolate Vanilla Dream which has vanilla beans in it. Fabulous! Thanks!
Update>>I've made in two more times since this first post. Tonight I actually deviated and used Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate instead of white chocolate. Delicious and very rich! It tasted like Chocolate Pot de Creme with a crunchy top! Loved it! Next time I want to use the Chili Dark Chocolate for a spicy kick! thanks again!
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 ounces white chocolate, imported finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 300 degrees F.
- Whisk egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl.
- Bring cream and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar to simmer in heavy medium saucepan; reduce heat to low.
- Gradually add chopped white chocolate to the cream mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually whisk the hot white chocolate mixture into yolk mixture, then whisk in vanilla.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve, then ladle custard into four 10-oz custard cups (if you use 4 oz ramekins, it will fill about 7 of them).
- Place the filled cups in large baking pan and add enough hot water to pan to come halfway up sides of cups.
- Bake at 300 degrees F until the custards are set in the center, about 1 hour.
- Carefully remove the custards from water and let cool.
- Cover (plastic wrap works fine) and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, preheat the broiler.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon sugar over each custard.
- Broil until the sugar caramelizes, watching carefully, which will take about 2 minutes.
- Serve hot, or refrigerate up to 1 hour and serve cold.
- Makes 4 servings.