Recipe by Chef1MOM-Connie
This is not your average hamburger soup. I was planning to make chili (which I also did) and decided to make 4 lbs. of hamburger. I had a head of cabbage and some extra veggies left from last garden pick so here came the soup decision. I am tasting it now before I post because I wanted to make sure the flavors came together well. THEY DID! Dh loves these surprises.
Top Review by Krista Roes
This was a 5 star soup in our house tonight. I made it as stated and added a little thyme. Warm, delicious, filling, healthy... couldn't ask for more. Made this for Spring PAC 2009.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 24 ounces beef broth (may need more or less to cover veggies)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 16 ounces mixed vegetables, can
- 10 ounces green beans
- 1 cup barley
- 3 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 potato, quartered
- oregano (I used fresh, use to taste) or basil (I used fresh, use to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In soup pot brown ground beef til just done, breaking into pieces but leaving chunks.
- Add beef broth, cabbage, barley, potato quarters, seasonings.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Add canned veggies, quartered tomatoes,onions, and green beans.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add crackers or crusty bread and serve.
- Note: I added Parmesan cheese to top, DH added cheddar.
- Note: estimates for spices as I used fresh and I also used more garlic but not everyone loves garlic, suit to taste. I also used homemade beef broth but measured for recipe.