Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I used to make this for myself and my parents before I moved out. My husband recently suffered a heart attack and he has had to change the way he eats. Now of course he has to load up on the veggies! I made this for him and he loved it! I used the 'no salt added' cans of tomatoes, but if you prefer the flavour, use the regular stuff, or add salt to your own taste. My husband wants to try it with some ground beef or even ground turkey instead of the rice next time. Sounds good to me!
- 2 (796 ml) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 (156 ml) can tomato paste
- 1600 ml water (2 tomato cans full)
- 2 carrots, peeled, and sliced
- 3 potatoes (skin on for extra nutrients!)
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 medium sized zucchini, sliced
- 15 -20 green beans, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 -3 large white mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice (whichever you prefer) or 1⁄2 cup pearl barley (whichever you prefer) or 1⁄2 cup piece pasta (whichever you prefer)
- 2 bay leaves
- In a LARGE suacepan, start with the cans of tomatoes, crush them up or squish them in your hands, then add the water and tomato paste.
- Add all the other ingredients except the rice, barley or pasta.
- Simmer for several hours until all of the veggies are soft.
- Add the rice, barley or pasta during the last hour or so.
- Makes enough for freezing and is always better then next day when the spices have really infused the veggies!
- Serve with a sprinkle of low fat parmesan cheese and a whole wheat bun, and you've got a rich, hearty (and heart healthy) dinner!