Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my favourite recipe for 'homemade' mayonaise and was passsed on to me by my Mother. It really has got the "WOW" factor - and really creamy. It is essential that the oil is added VERRRRY slowly, to ensure you get the right consistency.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne or 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 pint salad oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon chili vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place the mustard, salt, pepper, sugar, a FEW drops of the vinegar and the egg YOLK in a bowl and whisk together.
- Continue whisking and at the same time, add the oil- but ONLY a LITTLE at a time.
- The mixture should NOT curdle NOR become too thick- (insufficient whisking, poor quality ingredients or too hasty addition of the oil will cause curdling).
- Now add the rest of the vinegar, and the lemon juice- a LITTLE at a time, to keep the mayonaise at the right consistency.
- NOTE: if after refrigerating, you find the mayonaise a little too thick, it may be thinned down with a little amount of cream.