Prep 5 mins
Cook 18 mins
Here's a delicious quick n'easy muffin for breakfast or snack .. high on flavor low on fat and healthy too! Enjoy!
- 2 cups sifted whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg white (beaten)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup apple (diced)
- 3 tablespoons melted margarine
- 3 tablespoons dried oats
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar.
- Peel core and dice apple, walnuts, raisins and mix into dry ingredients.
- Mix milk, egg white, margarine and applesauce together and pour into dry ingredients mixing well.
- Add vanilla.
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray (paper liners are not recommended) and fill 2/3 full with batter.
- Sprinkle a bit of oat flakes to the top of each muffin.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cook for 15- 18 minutes.
I thought these were only so-so. I made half the prescribed way in the recipe. The other half I inserted a wee bit of apple-cinnamon butter in the middles. The first (normal) batch came out very plain tasting, and almost dry. The second batch was better with the addition of the apple butter. These may just taste better the next day. UPDATE: I retract my initial impression of these muffins. After baking, I let them cool a bit, then placed them in sandwich bags. When I decided to give them a shot a couple of days later, they were still very moist when I pulled them out. The flavor VASTLY improved, the cinnamon-apple flavor had permeated througout, and it is all together a very yummy muffin. When you make these, wait at least a day before eating!
Really, really good! I also omitted the oat topping, used applesauce for the margarine, added 1/2 cup Splenda & used 1 1/2 cups diced apples. I omitted the walnutes & raisins. I also used 2 tsp cinnamon. Baked up nice & moist-tasted great. Thanks so much!
I made a couple changes.I increased the cinnamon to 2 tsp. and used egg beaters instead of egg white. I used 1-1/2 tsp, nutmeg and I didn't sprinkle with oats. I tried 3 with paper liners and I agree, not good. My DD thought they weren't sweet enough but I found them fine. I will probably make again.