1/4 Photos of Mjadra - Lentils and Rice
This is a typical Middle Eastern recipe given to me by my niece. Her in-laws, who are from the Middle East, gave this recipe to her and it has become a staple in their home. I think it's fantastic, too. It could work as a vegetarian main dish, a side dish or lunch. It is traditionally served with a salad made of the following: chopped lettuce, chopped tomato, chopped green pepper, lemon juice and salt. I like to mix the mjadra right in with the salad. Yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine water and lentils and boil for 10 minutes.
- 2Add rice to the boiling water, keeping the lentils in the pot, and boil for 15 minutes - until the rice starts to bubble at the top. Stir occasionally.
- 3Meanwhile, saute strips of onion in olive oil and add to rice and lentils.
- 4Stir in salt and pepper, to taste. You definitely will need the salt and pepper. You may need to experiment with the amount.
- 5Simmer this mixture for about another 5 minutes.
- 6Eat as is or serve with a salad (as described in the intro.).
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mjadra - Lentils and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.2
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 7.9 g