Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
Here's another recipe from my best friend. She's the quintessential farm wife and she's always been something of an inspiration to me -- in the cooking department as well as many other areas. I don't know if this is a recipe she thought up herself or if it's from one of her recipe books, but I always credit her with this one.
- 3⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 3⁄4 cup diced potato
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt (or more, to taste)
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups water (broth definitely adds more flavour!) or 2 cups ham stock (broth definitely adds more flavour!)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook all veggies except peas in water or broth until tender.
- In a separate pot, melt butter and stir in flour to form paste. Gradually add milk and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add cooked veggies AND broth along with peas and ham. Heat through and serve.