Recipe by Indian Chef
Mixed vegetables in coconut milk is a deliciously creamy and fragrant recipe made from seasonal vegetables. This is a simple tasting main dish.
- 2 medium potatoes
- 12 -15 broad beans
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 1⁄4 cup cauliflower
- 2 medium carrots
- 100 g red pumpkins
- 1 cup coconut milk (thick)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (thin)
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 red chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 8 -10 garlic cloves (paste)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black gram (split)
- 8 -10 curry leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cut the potatoes, carrots, pumpkin into 1 inch cubes.
- String the broad beans and cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Wash the cauliflower and cut florets into medium size.
- Dissolve the tamarind pulp in half cup of lukewarm water.
- Heat a little oil in a heavy bottomed pan and sauté whole red chilies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic paste, and half cup of thick coconut till the mixture begins to give a nice aroma.
- Turn off heat. Turn mixture into grinder to form a fine paste. Set aside.
- Add turmeric powder, tamarind extract and salt to the milk to the thin coconut milk in a pan.
- Turn on heat, add all the vegetables.
- Boil until ¾ done.
- Now add the ground masala mixture and cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- In another pan heat a little oil; add the remaining red chilies, mustard seeds, and black gram. Also add the curry leaves.
- As the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add the vegetables and continue to cook till vegetables are tender.
- Now add the remaining thick coconut milk, simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice or tandoori roti.