Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups broth (use vegetarian for vegan)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (to garnish)
- 4 green onions, white part only, finely chopped, to garnish (scallions)
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the carrot and fry until browned. Remove and reserve.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook gently until soft and golden.
- Add the pepper and zucchini and cook until softened.
- Stir in the spices and cook until fragrant, then add the tomatoes, carrots, broth and seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chickpeas, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the lemon juice and sprinkle over the parsley and green onions.