Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another vegetarian North Indian favorite. The red chilli powder referred to is made of dry Kashmiri chillies. Serve with yoghurt or a spicy Indian pickle.
- 450 g whole wheat flour
- 9.85 ml vegetable oil
- 200 ml water
- 4.92 ml salt
for the stuffing
- 1 potato, large, boiled, grated
- 29.58 ml green peas
- 29.58 ml carrots, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml cauliflower, finely chopped
- 3.69 ml red chili powder
- 3.69 ml turmeric powder
- 2.46 ml cumin powder
- 4 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml coriander leaves, fresh, chopped
- ghee, as required
- salt, to taste
- Mix together the ingredients for the dough and knead well till smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 - 6 equal portions and form into balls.
- Roll out each ball into discs with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface. (Cover with a slightly damp cloth to prevent them from drying out while you roll out all of them.).
- To prepare the stuffing, boil all the vegetables, except the potato, until tender.
- Add the potato and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the stuffing. Mix well.
- Divide the stuffing into the same number of portions as discs and spoon into the middle of each disc.
- Bring the edges together and seal.
- Gently shape it back into a ball.
- Roll out each ball into a disc 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a griddle and fry each disc, turning them over every two minutes till both sides turn golden brown.
- Drizzle a little ghee or oil all over.