Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another vegetarian North Indian favorite. The red chilli powder referred to is made of dry Kashmiri chillies. Serve with yoghurt or a spicy Indian pickle.
- 450 g whole wheat flour
- 9.85 ml vegetable oil
- 200 ml water
- 4.92 ml salt
for the stuffing
- 1 potato, large, boiled, grated
- 29.58 ml green peas
- 29.58 ml carrots, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml cauliflower, finely chopped
- 3.69 ml red chili powder
- 3.69 ml turmeric powder
- 2.46 ml cumin powder
- 4 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml coriander leaves, fresh, chopped
- ghee, as required
- salt, to taste
- Mix together the ingredients for the dough and knead well till smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4 - 6 equal portions and form into balls.
- Roll out each ball into discs with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface. (Cover with a slightly damp cloth to prevent them from drying out while you roll out all of them.).
- To prepare the stuffing, boil all the vegetables, except the potato, until tender.
- Add the potato and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the stuffing. Mix well.
- Divide the stuffing into the same number of portions as discs and spoon into the middle of each disc.
- Bring the edges together and seal.
- Gently shape it back into a ball.
- Roll out each ball into a disc 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a griddle and fry each disc, turning them over every two minutes till both sides turn golden brown.
- Drizzle a little ghee or oil all over.