Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I really just made this up from what a waiter at a Indian restaurant told me to do. I think it is really good especially with Coriander Chutney. Chickpea Flour is Gluten free and Makes a great Batter for other fried foods. Double Check it is not processed with Wheat, Etc.
- 1 cup chickpea flour (Besan)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or 1 teaspoon pakora masala
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian chicken bouillon granules (optional)
- 1 -2 chopped green chili (Jalapeno)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 potato
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced onions
- * Boil the potato until just tender, peel and chop finely.
- * Finely chop peppers and onion. Shred the cabbage.
- * Mix first set of ingredients well. Beat in a blender for 4-5 minutes to incorporate air (this will make the batter fluffier).
- * Let batter rest 1/2 hour in a warm place.
- * Add the vegetables and mix in evenly.
- * Deep fry in oil that is heated.
- * Drain pakoda on paper towels and serve immediately.
- * Serve vegetable pakora with coriander or mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Sometimes I use Dehydrated peppers, Cabbage, Onions, and Jalapeno with water until it is reconstituted to the equivalent. It is still pretty good.