Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm in love with Indian food, and this is my favorite recipe for veggie masala.
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 10 French style green beans, chopped
- 1 quart cold water
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) canpeeled whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 sprig cilantro leaf, for garnish (optional)
- Place potatoes, carrots and green beans in the cold water.
- Allow to soak while you prepare the rest of the vegetables; drain.
- In a microwave safe dish place the potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas, salt and turmeric.
- Cook for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook mustard seeds and cumin; when seeds start to sputter and pop, add the onion and saute until transparent.
- Stir in the tomatoes, garam masala, ginger, garlic and chili powder; saute 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the tomato mixture and saute 1 minute.
- Cover and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are nice and tender.
- Garnish with cilatro and serve.
I didn't have the beans or peas on hand, so substituted cauliflower and broccoli. I used a large can of crushed tomatoes and about two cups of whole grape tomatoes instead of whole canned tomatoes. It turned out to be a flavourful mix of vegetables in spicy tomato sauce. The family enjoyed it served with Spicy Indian Dahl(#63075) and Oriental Cucumber Salad (#26084). I will definitely try this again without substitutions. Thank you ejchristian86 for this new addition to our family favorites.
We had this for dinner tonight with rotis and it went very well. I also tossed in 1/2 cup sliced green bell pepper. Also, to get an interesting twist in flavours, I tossed in 1/2 tsp. of rasam powder. We enjoyed this and I will make it again! Thanks for sharing!