Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Make and share this Mixed Vegetable Kootu recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup grated unsweetened coconut (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup firmly packed cilantro leaf
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 serrano chili, stemmed and seeded
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch diagonal slices (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds (1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 head medium cauliflower, cut into florets (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 lb green beans (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves (optional)
- Purée cilantro leaves, coconut, coconut milk, garlic, serrano chile, coriander, and cayenne pepper in food processor until mixture forms a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Place carrots and sweet potato in large skillet, and cover with 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook 2 minutes. Add cauliflower, cover skillet, and simmer 2 minutes. Add green beans, cover, and cook 2 minutes more, or until vegetables are just tender. Stir in cilantro-and-coconut paste, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in small skillet over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, and cover. Cook 30 seconds, or until sizzling subsides, then stir in curry leaves, if using. Stir mustard seeds and curry leaves into vegetables. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Very fresh and pleasant taste. It turns out more like a Southeast Asian dish than Tamil one.