Recipe by meghan_hartman05
Fast, easy, a family favorite; this recipe can be used with nearly any mixture of veggies. This is best served with fresh fruit and bruschetta or toasted bread with goat cheese.
Top Review by 8nine
Delicious! For veggies I used orange peppers, mushrooms, green onions, zucchini, and mixed baby greens. I sauted the veggies as directed although I added double the pesto. Also, after the veggies were cooked I put them in a 2 qt pyrex pan, then topped with egg and baked the whole thing at 400 for about 20 minutes, then added shredded cheddar cheese and cooked about a minute or two more. Made for a great dinner.
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil (should have a green tint, if it is gold, then it has gone bad)
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped (or any onions)
- 1⁄4 cup red bell peppers or 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 -5 asparagus, sliced (potatoes, or broccoli are also good)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced (yellow squash works too)
- 6 -8 mushrooms, sliced (baby bellas work well)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute (3 - 4 eggs)
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄3 cup mozzarella cheese or 1⁄3 cup asiago cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- *Pre-heat oven to 400º (broil).
- In medium skillet add olive oil, pesto, and garlic. Sauté on medium heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add onions and peppers and continue to sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Next add asparagus or broccoli (potatoes should be cooked ahead of time if you want to use those).
- After 2-3 minutes, add the zucchini and mushrooms.
- When vegetables are nearly cooked, add the spinach and cook until dark green.
- Make sure the veggies are pretty much evenly distributed and flat, then pour in the egg beaters.
- Cook on stove top for about 3 minutes and then transfer to oven to cook the top portion of the egg.
- When the top begins to puff in the middle, bring back to stove top.
- Add cheese, then place under broiler for additional 2 minutes (until cheese is melted and bubbly).
- Cut into wedges and serve (this re-heats well in the microwave for leftovers).
- *NOTE - all measurements are approximate and can be changed to your preferences.