Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Fast, easy, a family favorite; this recipe can be used with nearly any mixture of veggies. This is best served with fresh fruit and bruschetta or toasted bread with goat cheese.
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil (should have a green tint, if it is gold, then it has gone bad)
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped (or any onions)
- 1⁄4 cup red bell peppers or 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 -5 asparagus, sliced (potatoes, or broccoli are also good)
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced (yellow squash works too)
- 6 -8 mushrooms, sliced (baby bellas work well)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute (3 - 4 eggs)
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄3 cup mozzarella cheese or 1⁄3 cup asiago cheese
- *Pre-heat oven to 400º (broil).
- In medium skillet add olive oil, pesto, and garlic. Sauté on medium heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add onions and peppers and continue to sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Next add asparagus or broccoli (potatoes should be cooked ahead of time if you want to use those).
- After 2-3 minutes, add the zucchini and mushrooms.
- When vegetables are nearly cooked, add the spinach and cook until dark green.
- Make sure the veggies are pretty much evenly distributed and flat, then pour in the egg beaters.
- Cook on stove top for about 3 minutes and then transfer to oven to cook the top portion of the egg.
- When the top begins to puff in the middle, bring back to stove top.
- Add cheese, then place under broiler for additional 2 minutes (until cheese is melted and bubbly).
- Cut into wedges and serve (this re-heats well in the microwave for leftovers).
- *NOTE - all measurements are approximate and can be changed to your preferences.
Delicious! For veggies I used orange peppers, mushrooms, green onions, zucchini, and mixed baby greens. I sauted the veggies as directed although I added double the pesto. Also, after the veggies were cooked I put them in a 2 qt pyrex pan, then topped with egg and baked the whole thing at 400 for about 20 minutes, then added shredded cheddar cheese and cooked about a minute or two more. Made for a great dinner.