Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
found in another site...the end result is superb!
- 6 cups chopped mixed vegetables (potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, french beans, and green bell peppers)
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 6 green cardamoms
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 1⁄2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 3 green chilies, slit
- 3 teaspoons ginger, cut into strips (juliennes)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 3 cups coconut milk (canned unsweetened coconut milk is available in Asian markets)
- 3 cups water
- 3 -5 curry leaves
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium level till it is hot.
- Add the green cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon.
- Fry for a few seconds.
- Now add the green chilli (es), ginger and the sliced onions.
- Saute on medium heat for 3 minute (s) or till the onions are transparent and soft.
- Add the mixed vegetables, curry leaves, salt and water.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes or till the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the peppercorns and the coconut milk.
- Simmer on very low heat (so that the coconut milk does not curdle) for about 1 minute (s).
I used green beans, butternut squash, mushrooms and red bell peppers, so this was a beautifully colorful dish. The amount of water called for was way too much and I ended up siphoning off almost 2 cups! I used lite coconut milk, and I think this would have been better with the regular kind. I also would suggest using ghee instead of oil and adding some kind of nuts toward the end (e.g., pistachios, almonds, pumpkin seeds or something) to make it more substantial and to give it a little protein boost.