Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
My grandmother used to make this at Thanksgiving and Christmas to fill out the usual sweet potato casserole and dressing menu. This was always one of my favorites. It is very easy and very tasty! It is a good way to get your kids (and reluctant DH's) to eat their vegetables!
- 566.99 g package frozen mixed vegetables
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise
- 354.88 ml Ritz cracker crumbs
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine, melted
- Cook the frozen vegetables according to the package directions. Drain well.
- Combine cooked vegetables, onion, celery, cheese, and mayonnaise in a large bowl, stirring well.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 11 x 7 x 1 1/2 inch baking dish.
- Combine cracker crumbs and butter. Stir well. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
A wonderfully versatile and delicious recipe that makes including plenty of vegetables in one's diet all the easier; and enables one to add into it any other vegetables that are in abundance or needing to be used up. As a garlic and herbs fiend, I just had to include minced garlic and some herbs - rosemary, sage and thyme, a favourite combination - and I followed mums the word's suggestion and used half mayo and half low-fat sour cream. Apart from that I made this exactly to the recipe and portioned it into four small round casserole dishes: three destined for the freezer at the end of step 3 and one cooked for about 15 minutes. Great to know that those other three portions are in the freezer waiting to be enjoyed in the future. :) Thanks breezermom for a great vegetable recipe. Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
This was a great casserole! I brought it to a dinner banquet and someone stood up asked who had made the vegetable casserole because they had to have the recipe! We did make a few changes. Doubled the vegetables, but kept only 1/2 stick of butter in the recipe. A lot of people wanted the recipe that night! I will definitely substitute sour cream or yogurt for some of the mayo next time to help cut back on the fat. Thanks tons!
Delicious! Imade the recipe as directed using "Summer Mixed Vegetables", A mixture of asparagus, carrots and squash. I used only 1 cup of cracker crumbs mixed with 3 Tbls of melted butter. We loved this dish.