Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my favorite recipes
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, remove stems and quarter
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, remove stems and quarter
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot, combine broth, barley, carrots and tarragon. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered until barley is cooked (approx 30 min).
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add diced onion, cook until soft.
- Add garlic and mushrooms, cook until soft.
- Add mushroom mixture to soup pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for approximately 20 minute.
- Then stir in sherry and parsley.
- Adjust seasoning as necessary.