Prep 20 mins
Cook 43 mins
A popular side dish with my family.
- 1 (8 ounce) zucchini, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (8 ounce) crookneck yellow squash, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion, including some tender green tops
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°; add water to a pan fitted with a steamer rack over medium heat; place squashes on rack and steam over gently boiling water for 10 minutes (I use my Black & Decker vegetable steamer and it works very well).
- Transfer squash to a food processor; with pulses, coarsely chop squash.
- Add in egg, cheese, onions, dill, salt, and pepper; mix briefly.
- Turn into a 9-inch pie pan or gratin dish that has been lightly coated with cooking spray.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter; add in bread crumbs and nuts; stir about 3 minutes or until toasted.
- Sprinkle on top of squash mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until puffed up and set.