Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is from a cookbook by Maya Angelou, adapted slightly to suit our family. I tried this with my husband and son and now have to regularly stock the ingredients as they request it at least once or twice a week. I've never had a salad this good.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely minced fresh garlic
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a small pot, put raisins and enough water to cover.
- Simmer for three minutes and then set aside to allow raisins to plump.
- In large salad bowl (I use a wooden bowl), place oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Tear lettuce into bite sized pieces and add to bowl.
- Add drained raisins.
- I use my hands to toss.
- Sprinkle feta cheese on top and serve immediately.
My DH loved this and now wants me to make the dressing to put on all our salads. I did cut down a bit on the garlic because we're not big garlic lovers. Thanks for a really good dressing.
The golden raisins and feta are such a great combination in this salad. I also added a handful of pine nuts for some crunch. We enjoyed it, though the dressing was a bit overpowering for us. I'll make this again, maybe just reduce the amount of lemon juice and fresh garlic to suit our tastes. Thanks, BamaKathy for posting!