Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A Lebanese salad It is also known as Fattoush. It is often made without the lettuce and garlic.
- 1 pita bread round, toasted (or dried)
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 onion
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium head lettuce
- 3⁄4 cup parsley
- 3⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3⁄4 cup purslane (optional)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Break pita round into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Chop cucumber, onion, tomatoes and lettuce into bite-size chunks and combine with bread in a large bowl.
- chop parsley, mint and purslane finely and add to salad.
- Crush garlic and salt together into a small bowl.
- Stir lemon juice and olive oil into garlic and salt mixture for the dressing.
- Add the dressing to the salad, toss well and serve.
This was delish! I never though of the pita bread & it worked out great! I made a few changes just b/c of what I had lying around the fridge, I added carrots, lipstick peppers (red gypsy peppers) & instead of the oil I just added a bit of Italian dressing I had. Love it!
nice simple lunchtime salad,used everything but the pursiane leaves, and I did also cut down on the mint to about 1/2 cup and then 1/4 cup lemon balm. And I did add an extra pita as I thought the amount of oil was alittle too much when done.
Great salad! I made this to take to work, kept the dressing separate until ready to serve and toasted the pita at work too. Had to leave out the puslane as had none. Loved the combination of the toasted pita with the salad and the garlicky dressing (wasn't too popular with my colleagues that afternoon!). Thank you for the recipe!