Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
I love the idea of using the 2 different potatoes in the this salad and I am hoping to make it while we are on holidays, from Recipes+
- 500 g potatoes (pink skinned peeled cut into 2cm pieces)
- 500 g sweet potatoes (kumara peeled and cut into 2cm pieces)
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 78.07 ml mayonnaise (egg mayonnaise)
- 59.14 ml gherkin (finely chopped)
- 29.58 ml dill (chopped)
- 14.79 ml coarse grain mustard
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 2 eggs (hard boiled peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 59.14 ml sliced almonds (lightly toasted)
- Place potato and kumara in a single layer, in a large steaming basket over a pan of simmering water (don't let base of steamer touch the water, cover with a lid or foil and steam vegetables for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. (I would use my electric 3 tier steamer but if you can't steam I don't see why you can't boil in water till just tender and drain well).
- Remove from heat, drain and transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile whisk sour cream, mayonnaise, gherkins, dill, mustard and juice in a small bowl.
- Combine potato, kumara, sour cream mixture and egg in a large bowl.
- Serve sprinkled with almonds.
I love these salads with sweet potato and regular potato combined. I used a gold potato, as I've never seen pink ones here. I did dice the potatoes a bit smaller than suggested, as we don't like big chunks in potato salad and cooked them on the stove, which worked out quite well. Could not find the gherkins (later found them hiding behind the OJ), so I added some capers which added a nice touch of sharpness. I did add a bit more dill, which I love. Delicious with ribs for lunch.
This is a quick ....not too mention simple and easy recipe to make.
I did not have pink skinned potato's and used just normal potato's, the ratio was probably not quite right as I used what I had on hand, and using chives instead of dill (but I used a squirt of dill paste) ......everything else was as per recipe.
Such a splendid outcome! DH liked the added nuts and DS, DD and I devoured it.............. The only person not sure was the nut fanatic DH...... but let's just put this one down to old age! lol
I actaully think DH, who does not like pumpkin.... was not sure because of the colour & he was a little apprehensive, but he hate it and said it was quite nice! Maybe the nut's convinced him to think it was nice.......Ahhh who cares, the rest of us all loved it!
Great recipe Pat....DS is the connoisseur of Potato Salad's.
....If he takes it to work for lunch....You know it must be good!
AND he did just that, and as I have stated before in other review's, if he offer's to serve it in palstic container's for everyone for luch the next day...IT'S GOOD...... becoz if he is the one who get's to pack it for next day..............He get's more for himself, and that is the giveaway with both DS & DD when they really like something