Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I love roasted peppers and with a combination of green, yellow and red peppers this sounds delicious and colorful. It is from "Portuguese Cooking" by Carol Robertson. (The cooking time indicated includes the chilling time.)
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (Portuguese or Spanish if available)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 pepperoncini peppers (whole, pickled)
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place peppers on a broiler pan and place under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the skins become blackened (about 15-25 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and place in a paper bag or cover with foil until cool enough to handle.
- Using a sharp knife, peel off and dispose of the charred skins.
- Core and seed the peppers.
- Cut each pepper into 8-10 long strip; place in a bowl.
- In a small bowl stir together the oil and garlic.
- Seed and stem the pepperocinis, slice into thin rounds and stir into the oil.
- Pour oil mixture over the peppers, toss, cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Refreshing with grilled or broiled meats.
I share acarast's love of peppers and really love the aesthetic appeal of combining the various colours. I made these yesterday, and we enjoyed them tonight with Grilled Mexican Lime Chicken. I'm afraid I omitted the pepperoncini peppers as I wasn't sure what they were. I also increased the minced garlic to 4 cloves and added some fresh basil and lemon zest. I'm planning on using some of these peppers in take-to-work sandwiches during the week. Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe, acarast! Made for ZWT 5.