Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Very good! Best served warm or at room temp. from local newspaper.
- 1 skinny baguette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces mushrooms (a mixture of your liking, portabello, shiitake, oyster, button, etc.)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup diced smoked ham (black forest or prosciutto)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated asiago cheese or 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Slice baguette in 1/3 inch thick rounds.
- Brush with a little olive oil and broil until lightly golden in colour.
- Clean mushrooms, slice small ones and chop larger ones to make about 4 cups In a large nonstick frypan, heat remaining oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook until lightly softened, about 1 minute.
- Stir in mushrooms and garlic, cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in basil, then add vinegar and water, cook for 1 or 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in ham, parsley and half the cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture onto toasted bread, sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Make ahead --------------------.
- Cool filling, cover and refrigerate.
- Before serving, warm briefly in microwave or in frypan,spoon onto toasted bread, sprinkle with cheese.
- Crostini can also be made ahead, cooled and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.