Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
For this Thanksgiving! Use cremini, oyster, and chanterelle mushrooms if you can. This is from Bon Apetit.
- 1 pre-made pie shell
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 lb mixed fresh wild mushroom, quartered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F (or as per pie shell directions). Bake pie shell following package directions.
- Cool completely in pan on a rack, about 15 minutes.
- Make filling while shell bakes:.
- Heat butter and oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté mushrooms, shallot, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender and any liquid given off is evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together crème fraîche, heavy cream, whole egg, yolk, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl until combined.
- Fill and bake tart:.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F
- Scatter mushrooms evenly in tart shell and pour custard over them. Bake tart in pan on a baking sheet until custard is just set and slightly puffed, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cool tart in pan on rack at least 20 minutes, then remove side of pan. Serve tart warm or at room temperature.
This was great! I used puff pastry for the crust and only cremini mushrooms. But what a treat! I will definitely make it again.
Oooh la la, A la carte, this was wonderful! We had our final crop of Chanterelles and made this tart. It was devoured in moments. Thanks for sharing!