Recipe by greysangel
After making a Bechamel sauce based lasagna, I would never go back to the ricotta version again. Cook's Illustrated and Battali have similar recipes for a meat version, but I really love the flavor of the mushrooms in this one.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less, to personal taste)
- 2 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced ((mixed, such as crimini, portobello, shitakes, porcini, etc.)
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 12 lasagna noodles (from 8 ounce package of No-Boil such as Barilla)
- parmesan cheese, sauce
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
For Parmesan Sauce
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry or 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425º. Spray a 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Heat 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and oregano and stir 30 seconds. Add crushed tomatoes and 1/3 cup wine, basil, red pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in another large skillet over med-high heat. Add mushrooms, saute until mushrooms begin to release juices, about 9 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spread 1/3 cup tomato sauce over bottom of prepared dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles crosswise in dish. Spread 3/4 cup Parmesan Sauce over. Arrange 1/3 of the mushrooms over the sauce. Spoon 1/2 cup tomato sauce over mushrooms. Repeat layering 2 more times. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, Spread remaining Parmesan Sauce over. Drizzle with remaining tomato sauce, and Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese.
- Cover lasagna with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until noodles are tender and top is golden, about 25 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes.
- For Parmesan Sauce:
- Whisk flour in a heavy medium sauce pan to remove any lumps, Gradually add 1 cup milk, whisking until smooth. Add remaining milk, wine or sherry, and nutmeg. Whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan and butter. Season liberally to taste with salt and pepper.