Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Mirin, a sweet Japanese rice wine, gives these vegetable sticks an interesting flair. This low-alcohol golden wine adds flavor to a variety of Japanese dishes, sauces and glazes. It can be found in any Japanese market as well as the gourmet section of many supermarkets. Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving.
- 1 lb zucchini
- 1 lb pickling cucumber
- 1 lb peeled japanese white radish (daikon or lobok)
- 2 cups rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 16 black peppercorns
- 8 whole allspice
- Cut zucchini, cucumbers and radish into lengthwise spears. Set aside.
- Combine vinegar, water, mirin and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove hot jars from canner.
- Place 4 peppercorns and 2 allspice in each jar.
- Pack vegetables into jars.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture into jars to within 1/2 inch of rim (head space).
- Process 10 minutes for pint jars.