Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
Posted for the Zaar World Tour
Make and share this Mixed Greens With Turnips & Tasso recipe from Food.com.
- 10 ounces fresh collard greens
- 10 ounces fresh mustard greens
- 10 ounces fresh turnip greens
- 2 medium onions, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 3 medium turnips, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 3⁄4 lb tasso or 3⁄4 lb smoked ham, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Place all greens in sink or a large pot; fill to brim with lukewarm water. Let greens stand 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove greens from water without disturbing sandy-silt which has settled to the bottom. Wash leaves under running water; tear leaves into small pieces, removing tough ribs.
- Place torn greens, onions, turnips, and tasso or ham in a 10- to 12-quart soup pot; fill to top with water. Add sugar, picante sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil 5 minutes. Reduce heat. Barely simmer, stirring occasionally, 3 hours. Taste for seasoning; adjust if necessary. Greens should have lots of liquid left; add more water if necessary. Serve hot.
This is terrific! The one ingredient new to us was the Tasso ham, and it was fantastic! The picante sauce was somewhat lost in all that water and the dish was improved by spooning on some additional sauce on the plate. Loved the aroma of the ham and greens cooking together and enjoyed the eating afterward. Made for World Tour.
I love turnip greens, and normally just cook them using bacon and some onions. I really enjoyed the smoked ham. I could barely taste the picante, so I'll increase that a bit next time. I served mine with corn bread and pepper sauce. The hardest part about this recipe was letting them cook long enough! The smell will drive you crazy. :)
That cookbook is my Cajun "Bible" and I have made this recipe many, many times. It is the best, bar none.