Recipe by Bayhill
Posted for the Zaar World Tour
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
This is terrific! The one ingredient new to us was the Tasso ham, and it was fantastic! The picante sauce was somewhat lost in all that water and the dish was improved by spooning on some additional sauce on the plate. Loved the aroma of the ham and greens cooking together and enjoyed the eating afterward. Made for World Tour.
- 10 ounces fresh collard greens
- 10 ounces fresh mustard greens
- 10 ounces fresh turnip greens
- 2 medium onions, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 3 medium turnips, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 3⁄4 lb tasso or 3⁄4 lb smoked ham, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all greens in sink or a large pot; fill to brim with lukewarm water. Let greens stand 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove greens from water without disturbing sandy-silt which has settled to the bottom. Wash leaves under running water; tear leaves into small pieces, removing tough ribs.
- Place torn greens, onions, turnips, and tasso or ham in a 10- to 12-quart soup pot; fill to top with water. Add sugar, picante sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; boil 5 minutes. Reduce heat. Barely simmer, stirring occasionally, 3 hours. Taste for seasoning; adjust if necessary. Greens should have lots of liquid left; add more water if necessary. Serve hot.