Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Delicious salad recipe from a restaurant in Scottsdale, AZ called CREW
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 cups apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 (5 ounce) bags mixed salad greens
- 12 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- For almonds: Place foil on work surface.
- Stir sugar and 1/4 cup water in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves, brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush.
- Increase heat and boil without stirring until mixture turns deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 9 minutes.
- Mix in almonds.
- Immediately pour out onto foil, separating almonds with fork.
- Cool completely (mixture will harden).
- For salad: Boil apple cider in heavy large saucepan until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 23 minutes.
- Transfer to medium bowl and chill until cold.
- Add vinegar, onion, mustard and poppy seeds.
- Gradually whisk in olive oil.
- Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss greens, cheese and almonds in bowl with enough dressing to coat; serve.
The salad dressing is excellent, a staple that wows everyone. However I've yet to master the candied almonds technique...