1/2 Photos of Mixed Greens With Caramelized Pears and Walnuts
An elegant salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup walnuts (pecans, hazelnuts, etc. may be substituted)
- 2 firm pears
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup walnut oil or 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 6 -8 cups mixed baby greens, washed and spun dry
Goat Cheese Croutons
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2On a baking sheet, lightly toast nuts; remove from oven and let cool.
- 3Peel and core the pears, then cut into 1/2" dice.
- 4In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- 5Add the diced pears and sugar; saute, stirring frequently, until the pears start to caramelize a bit, then add the white wine and continue cooking until the pears are just glazed.
- 6Remove from heat and let cool.
- 7In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the rice vinegar, wine vinegar, walnut or olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- 8Toss the greens with the dressing and distribute among eight individual serving plates.
- 9Spoon the caramelized pears and walnuts around the outside of the greens.
- 10Place the warm Goat Cheese Croutons on the center of the greens and serve immediately.
- 11Goat cheese croutons: Cut the goat cheese into eight 1/2-inch slices.
- 12(Tip: Use dental floss to slice the cheese logs cleanly.) Cut the thawed phyllo into long, thin strips (chiffonade).
- 13NOTE: A pasta machine cutter works well and makes uniform sizes.
- 14Wrap each goat cheese round in a nest of phyllo strips (they should look alot like shredded wheat).
- 15Place them on lightly oiled baking sheet; set aside.
- 16(NOTE: the croutons may be refrigerated, covered, at this point for 1 hour).
- 17When ready to use, preheat broiler.
- 18Brush the phyllo/goat cheese rounds with olive oil.
- 19Place under broiler in oven until lightly browned; turn them over and brown the other side.
- 20Remove from oven and transfer to the individual salads with a spatula.
Browse Our Top Pears Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mixed Greens With Caramelized Pears and Walnuts
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.0
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 52.4 mg
- Sodium 347.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar
mixed baby greens