Recipe by Abby Girl
Blueberry has to be one of my favorite fruits....so I am always looking for recipes that have this wonderful berry in it. This one is quite different, but it does need some planning as the blueberry vinegar needs time to infuse. This salad is very colourful so makes a wonderful presentation
- 3 tablespoons blueberry vinegar (see below)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh (or 1/2 cup dried)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- brie cheese (optional)
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 small bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Vinaigrette: Combine vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually add oil, stirring with a whisk. Check for seasoning. Set aside.
- To Assemble: Toss greens with enough salad dressing to coat. Divide among 4 plates. Sprinkle with blueberries, onion and cheese.
- Blueberry Vinegar:.
- Place blueberries in a small saucepan, and mash with a potato masher. Add white wine vinegar, 2 T sugar and bay leaf to pan and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 4 hours. Strain mixture through a fine sive and discard solids. Cover and chill.
- Store in the fridge for 2 weeks. This can be used as part of a marinade for pork, chicken thighs or duck or in other vinaigrettes.