Recipe by Sharlene~W
Found the fabulous recipe in a recent issue of Sunset Magazine. It is perfect for that special holiday meal.
Top Review by 86This
This salad is really good. I made it for a dinner party and everyone really liked it. I added some tomato slices and peppers instead of the apples and it was still pretty decent. I will make this salad again. Thanks so much for posting it.
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup walnut oil or 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- salt and pepper
- 2 fuji apples or 2 other sweet apples
- 3⁄4 cup thinly slivered red onion
- 6 quarts mixed baby greens (1 pound bag)
- 8 ounces maytag blue cheese or 8 ounces other blue cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir walnuts often until lightly browned, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, shallots, garlic, mustard, sugar and 2 tablespoons of the toasted walnuts.
- Stir in chives and salt and pepper.
- Core and slice apples and then cut into bite-size pieces.
- Add apples with onion to mixed baby greens.
- Add dressing and mix to coat.
- Add half the cheese and mix gently.
- Mound salad equally on 8 to 10 plates.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and toasted walnuts.