Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
Found this recipe in Shape Magazine and thought I'd give it a try. It is a flavorful and healthy salad and is one of my DH's favorites. Sometimes I add bean sprouts, wontons or crispy rice sticks.
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- Drain mandarin oranges, reserving oranges in a large bowl and juice in a medium bowl.
- To the mandarin juice, add olive oil, vinegar, dijon mustard and pepper. Whisk until blended.
- In the large bowl, add lettuce, spinach and cabbage to the reserved oranges.
- Pour dressing over all and toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately.
This was a great easy lunch on a rainy lazy day. I halved it for dh and me and our 5 year old (who will only eat a bit). Instead of the romaine and baby spinach mix I used some lovely organic baby greens and added teh cabbage. I didn't have dijon but used spicy brown mustard instead. To these salads I added a cooked diced chicken breast for protein. A really great lunch!