Recipe by evelyn/athens
Sage provides an earthy note to this healthy, delicious salad.
Top Review by threeovens
I rate this five stars. I thought it a bit weird to have so many dried fruits - that is until I tasted it! I really enjoyed all the different tastes and textures. This is healthy food the way I like It! CQ
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage or 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat; add shallots and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes; add brown rice, wild rice and wheat berries; stir to coat; add 2 cups water and 2 cups stock; bring to boil; reduce heat to low; cover and cook until grans are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes; remove from heat; stir cranberries, apricots and currants into grains; cool to room temperature.
- Whisk vinegar, walnut oil and sage in small bowl to blend; pour over salad and toss to coat; season generously with salt and pepper; stir pecans into salad and serve.