Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish. We like a flavorfull loaf and add extra onions, garlic and Spike seasoning and cayenne pepper. The recipe suggests serving it with herbed yogurt but we like it with ketchup.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups day old whole grain bread, diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine bulgur and oats. Bring vegetable broth to a boil and pour over grains. Cover and let stand 8 minutes to soften.
- Add bread, onion, spinach, egg substitute, garlic, and seasonings.
- Blend lightly but well.
- Spoon into a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan, either non-stick or sprayed with oil.
- Spread marinara sauce over the top.
- Bake until firm and hot throughout, about 35 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.