Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Has a lot of texture and is very filling.
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, rinsed thoroughly
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat (cracked wheat)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large pan over medium-high heat bring the water to a boil.
- Add in the next 8 ingredients; stir to mix.
- Lower heat to low and simmer, covered for ABOUT 40 minutes or until grains are tender and water is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
I'm really looking forward to trying this and rating it when the cool weather comes again. I was planning to post this, but ratherbeswimmin' beat me to the punch! It's originally from The Big Book of Breakfast, 2003, by Maryana Vollstedt.