I got this off the internet. I have been looking for some good whole grain cereals. This one is good and very good for you!! If you don't have wild rice, try brown rice.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease a 2 1/2 quartcasserole with cover.
- Bring 2 cups water and wild rice to a boil;cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Drain; transfer to casserole.
- Add barley, oats, raisins, dates, brown sugar,butter, cinnamon and remaining water.
- Cover andbake 1 hour 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, oruntil grains are tender.
- Serve with honey and milk, if desired.
This is an excellent and filling whole grain cereal. I cooked the wild rice yesterday and then mixed it all in a container (subbing splenda brown sugar for the brown sugar), leaving out the water and butter. This morning at 5:30 I added the water and 1.5 tbsp. butter (I would even go less next time). At first I thought "there is no way this much water will be absorbed" but it worked out beautifully. The dates basically just dissolved into the cereal and the raisins got plumper then I have ever seen them. Plenty sweet I didn't think it needed anything on top. Thanks Sharon!