Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This delicious cake is from a recipe off a Mariani-Kirkland (Costco) mixed fruit bag. It takes awhile and is a little pricey to make, but oh, so worth it.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 8 1⁄2 cups mariani-kirkland mixed fruit
- ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in eggs, vanilla extract and butter.
- Using fingers, mix well until firm dough has formed.
- Wrap in a clean tea towel (cheesecloth) and chill in refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Turn a 9 inch round baking dish upside down and lightly grease surface.
- Pinch off a portion of the dough and roll out onto the baking dish making a 9 inch circle approximately 1 inch thick.
- Continue this process with all the dough, making five to seven layers.
- Bake each layer individually for 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a medium saucepan, place the dried Mixed Fruit in enough water to cover.
- Cook over medium heat until soft and spreadable, but not runny, about 20 minutes.
- Drain fruit well.
- Mix in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stack layers, spreading equal portions of the fruit mixture between each layer and on top of final layer.
- Chill in refrigerator 8-12 hours or overnight.