1/7 Photos of Mixed Dhal
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This tasty lentil curry uses a mixture of four types of lentils. The original recipe specified equal quantities of brown and red lentils, yellow mung beans (moong dhal) and green split peas. As I did not have those on hand, I improvised and used toor dhal, urid dhal, moong dhal and channa dhal (Bengal gram dhal). The result was a 'moreish', satisfyingly 'meaty' lentil curry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons ghee (I used 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp vegetable oil)
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 fresh green chile, finely chopped (de-seeded, if desired, for less heat)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida powder (optional)
- 5 ounces toor dal
- 5 ounces Urad Dal
- 5 ounces mung dal
- 5 ounces channa dal
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans peeled crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1Mix the lentils together in a large bowl and wash in several changes of water.
- 2Heat the ghee in a large, heavy-based, preferably non-stick saucepan, and add the onion, garlic, ginger and chili.
- 3Cook, stirring, until onion is soft, and starting to brown.
- 4Add the seeds and powdered spices, and cook, stirring until fragrant.
- 5Add the lentils along with the undrained tomatoes and stock, and stir to combine.
- 6Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about one hour, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender.
- 7Add small amounts of water from time to time if the mixture appears to be sticking, or is too thick before the lentils soften.
- 8Add the coconut cream and cilantro just before serving, stirring and heating through over low heat.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mixed Dhal
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.3
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 19.9 mg
- Sodium 328.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.8 g
- Sugars 19.2 g
- Protein 23.3 g