Recipe by Leslie in Texas
A wonderful blend of berry flavors and sweet cheese filling is a fresh interpretation of this classic dessert! This has been an impressive winner each time I've served it-one of my personal favorites! It assembles quickly once the first two steps are done and it can be made the day before except for the topping and that can be done early on the day you plan to serve it. It's originally from a 1994 "The Flavors of Bon Appetit".
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen unsweetened mixed berries (or you can make up your own mixture from frozen strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries)
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry liqueur (Chambord)
- 3 (12 ounce) packages ladyfingers (unfilled) or 3 (6 1/4 ounce) packages champagne biscuits
- 3 (8 ounce) containers mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled
- 2 1⁄2 pints fresh raspberries
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook frozen mixed berries and 6 tablespoons sugar in heavy medium saucepan over medium
- heat until mixture resembles jam and is reduced to about 1 cup.
- Strain syrup from frozen raspberries through a sieve set over a bowl, pressing gently on solids.
- Discard solids.
- Add raspberry liquour to bowl.
- Using a springform pan, trim ladyfingers to fit, if needed, against sides.
- Dip ladyfingers quickly in syrup and place rounded side up against side of springform pan.
- Repeat with as many ladyfingers as needed to cover the bottom of pan.
- In bowl, whisk mascarpone with 6 tablespoons
- sugar and vanilla to blend; set aside.
- Thinly slice enough strawberries to measure 1/2 cup.
- Gently spread half of jam mixture over bottom layer of ladyfingers.
- Spoon half of mascarpone mixture over; smooth top.
- Sprinkle with sliced strawberries, 1/2 cup
- raspberries, and 1/2 cup blueberries.
- Dip more ladyfingers in syrup, arrange over fruit in pan.
- Gently spread remaining jam mixture over ladyfingers.
- Spoon remaining mascarpone mixture over the jam mixture, smooth top.
- Cover and chill at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Release pan sides.
- Transfer cake to platter.
- Arrange remaining fresh berries decoratively on top and serve.