Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is an easy summer dessert to make when berries are at their peak. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream. Prep time does not include chilling time. A great do ahead dessert!
- 4 cups mixed fresh berries, such as small strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries (about 1 1/2 lbs. total)
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup cold water, plus
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1 cup sweet wine, such as muscat de beaumes-de-venise
- 6 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- If using strawberries, halve them.
- Decoratively arrange berries in a 1 quart nonreactive terrine or loaf pan.
- Have ready a bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water.
- In a cup sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water and let stand 1 minute to soften.
- In a small saucepan simmer wine and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in gelatin mixture until well dissolved.
- Stir in the lime juice and remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water and transfer mixture to bowl set in ice water.
- Cool mixture, stirring occasionally, to room temperature.
- Pour mixture slowly over fruit.
- Chill terrine, covered, until firm, at least six hours and up to 2 days.
- Dip a knife in hot water and run knife around edge of terrine or loaf pan.
- Dip terrine or loaf pan into a larger pan of hot water 3-5 seconds to loosen.
- Invert a serving plate over terrine or pan and invert terrine onto plate.